Kensington and the Barbie Exhibition at the Design Museum



 Why Barbie? I never had a Barbie. I had a Sindy who came wearing a red sloppy Joe sweater and denim skirt. Still, I thought it would be good fun, and the kids had gone back to school. It was, in fact, quite enjoyable.

But before the exhibition, I had a wander around the back streets of Kensington. The architecture of the houses is stunning and it was nice to have time to explore. 

Kensington Library

Just love these houses/apartments






I ended up in Holland Park. There was a cold wind blowing that day, but I found a nice sheltered and sunny spot in the rose garden to eat my packed lunch.

Holland Park


This lovely display is in front of a block of apartments.


Who lives in a place like that?

Then on to the exhibition. The first Barbie was styled on a model, but gosh hasn't she changed over the years? There was a room with all the different ones from the start to the modern ones. Then of course there were the clothes. Soon along came Ken (he also had many transformations), Barbie's sister and her friends. Barbie had a house, a car, an apartment with a swimming pool. She had everything, and for a price you could buy it (or rather your parents would buy it).

The very first Barbie


Barbie's sister, Ken & friends

One of the first wardrobes

There was a bit about the first movie in the '70's and case after case of different types of Barbie, from high-powered business woman to astronaut with her own spaceship. I never knew there were so many. You could easily get Barbied-out!

The 1970's film

Ken over the years

Transport


Astronaunt Barbie

The Design Museum also has its own Barbie shop near the main entrance to the complex (not inside the  museum itself). 

While at the museum I decided to have a look around the rest of the place. Normally, I go there only for an exhibition, but I had the time that day. What an interesting place and quite nostalgic. My life seems to be in museums a lot these days!





I was fascinated to watch a 3D printed making a bowl. Here is the new and the old. As usual, I was drawn to the music technology, how it has changed over the years. I was particularly struck by a rather glam radiogram. My parents had an HMV one that sat in the front room. Nothing like this one. Ours was a piece of wooden furniture.

3D printer

What the 3D printer made



The glam radiogram

We had one of these....yes, I am that old!

3D printed objects


Inside a double glazed window


Wooden kitchen



I took masses of photos, so I've had to choose carefully what to put in the blog. Hope it inspires you to visit the Design Museum. There is a shop and a small cafe and outside there are gardens to explore.


Working 3D Printer

Gardens at the Design Museum






Comments