The Picture of Dorian Gray


(I know I left that nut here somewhere!)
I wondered for a long time who Dorian Gray was. He cropped up in a couple of songs, the one that springs to mind is one of James Blunt's songs. It bugged me. Then I found out that it was a story by Oscar Wilde. I've read a few things by him in the past and liked them (I have also seen The Importance of Being Ernest both play and film versions and loved them). The stories always have a twist. Then I remembered that I had a 'Complete Works of Oscar Wilde' in my cupboard which I'd picked up at a charity shop a few years ago and the story was in there. I was again prompted to read it when I saw that there is to be a TV adaptation of the story. Well, I just had to read it before seeing it! So over the last few days I have. It was a bit 'wordy' (well it was written/published in about 1890, that was the style) but I really got into it. Basically, Dorian trades his soul and the portrait that is painted of him takes on the ravages of age and more. I don't want to spoil it in case you see it on TV, but I think it will make a great adaptation. I had worked out my ending for the story and was keen to see if I would be proved right. I even decided that I would write a new ending if not! But I was very satsified with the outcome.

Today has been a tidying up day. I've spent ages going through old Bank Statements and credit card slips. The shredder has been working overtime! I also threw out loads of out of date bus and train timetables. Nowadays you can get all the info on the internet anyway, but I do like to have some to hand.

Euphonix (the choir I sing in) is to make it's first big public appearance on 6th September. We have a spot at the Kingston Carnival and will be on stage near the market. We will be singing two new songs we have been learning Scarborough Fair and Lean On Me along with an older song Siyahumba. We had lots of fun at the rehearsal this week when we were asked to sway with the music. Some said they couldn't sway and sing at the same time! But we are going to do it. Let's hope we are all swaying in the same direction! I love singing Lean On Me because it has great harmonies for the sopranoes. Scarborough Fair is a bit boring (never been my favourite, though Simon & Garfunkle give it a go!).

I won't mention the Ashes - I think that's been worn to death, personally! But then I'm not a cricket fan (though I'm pleased we beat Australia and wiped the smirk off their faces!). But cricket, for me, falls in the category of musicals, golf, watching paint dry, Tom Jones, motor racing, Elvis Presley and darts.

Football - now that's a different matter. Come on you SPURS - keep up the good work.

Have you noticed that an hour of daylight has been lost at night, not to mention the mornings. Summer is passing.

My Manger at Oxfam keeps her cigarette lighter down the front of her bra. I'm terribly worried she's going to set herself alight!

Have a good Bank Holiday weekend.

Comments