The delights of Hull

Me by a rather windy Hull Marina
Just been to Hull for a few days. My hubby was doing some family history research there and one afternoon we met one of his mother's cousins for the first time.  Other times when hubby was researching I went off on my own discovering the fantastic museums and William Wilberforce's House.  The museum quarter has lovely gardens (front and back) and a fantastic reflection off the glass fronted Streetlife Museum.

The Marina reminds me of the one in Brighton, only much smaller.  I walked round all the indoor shopping centres when I had some time to kill and ended up buying a dress!  One of the highlights for us was getting the bus across the Humber Bridge to Barton on Humber where there is a viewing area for the bridge (camera clicking merrily) and also the Water's Edge Country Park & Visitor Centre where we had tea and watched the ducks and found some goats to admire.  There are lovely walks and had we had the time it would have been nice to walk the paths.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express by the station which was clean, comfortable and offered an all you can eat breakfast!

The only drawback had been that when we got to Kings Cross to catch our train to Hull we found it had been cancelled.  Hull trains were experiencing problems with a broken train.  We took the next one and had to change at Doncaster and because we had Advance Tickets we had to go the rest of the way by coach.  We waited with others outside the station and after quite some time two mini buses arrived and we were all joking that they were our transport.....actually they were!  There were too many people so the decision was made to put all those only going to Hull on the mini buses and they had to send for another mini bus for those wanting places enroute.  So we piled in and off we went and arrived safely, if somewhat late.

Now Doncaster to me is the place I always end up when things go wrong.  Years ago my brother and I went to York by National Express coach and the skylight flew off the coach across the motorway.  They said it was too dangerous to continue so we had to pull into Doncaster to change coaches.  The only thing I've seen of Doncaster is the endless roundabouts and duel carriageways.  I'm sure there must be something to redeem it.  If you live there or know it well, please enlighten me.  Tell me something good about Doncaster!

(We got a full refund for our journey to Hull from the train company, so all is forgiven)
The glass fronted Street Life Musuem
Humber Bridge from the Lincolnshire side

Comments