Pompeii and Herculaneum Exhibition - great visit

Yesterday hubby and I went along to the Pompeii and Herculaneum Exhibition at the British Museum.  I booked in advance to make sure we could get in.  I'd forgotten that the Easter holidays were still in full swing so London was busy and tubes were a sardine affair.  The exhibition is really good.  There is a short film, lots of artifacts and some casts of people and animals who died in the aftermath of the volcanic eruption.

I was impressed with the jewellery and the furniture.  I also found the frescoes so beautiful.  The exhibition is laid out in rooms representing the different rooms in a typical house.  There is much information about the ordinary life of the people.  I think if I was in a middle-class Roman family I could have lived like that (apart from the bathroom as they had no concept of germs.....loo on the kitchen.  For them it was logical because all the kitchen waste could go the same way, sort of.  But no hand washing, yuk!)

There are some lovely photos of the ruins to, some great overhead shots.  Well worth a visit and it's on for some time yet - September, I think.  Don't miss it!

There has been lots of programmes on TV to coincide with the exhibition and for me I shall be seeing all this in the flesh very shortly because hubby and I are flying out to Italy very soon.  We'll stay in Sorrento and do all the excursions.  I am so excited.


Comments