East meets West - a week of contrasting arts

This weeks it's all been about the arts.  On Wednesday I went along to see an exhibition by contemplative artists at the retreat house I visited back in April.  Works included glass icons, paintings, clay sculptures (representing stations of the cross), visual arts, poetry and photography.  Each room offered plenty of seating so you could sit and contemplate the works.  My favourites were the glass icons and the paintings which were very restful but upstairs there was a moving collage of poetry and pictures on dying and death (sound morbid but this is a personal account and anyone would identify with it).  A really nice exhibition in beautiful surroundings.

In total contrast I spent yesterday afternoon at Hafla on The Square in Hammersmith.  This was part of the Shubbak festival of contemporary Arab culture and consisted of poetry, music and film.  The weather did it's best to spoil things as wind threatened to blow away one of the tents, move the deckchairs and blow the fountain water over everyone sitting near!  We also had to contend with showers and as the afternoon wore on the wind made sitting or standing around quite cold.

The Arab poet Fathieh Saudi read poems on the Roof Terrace at the Lyric Theatre overlooking the square.  She read in English and Arabic.  I particularly enjoyed the poem about trying to find a language.  I found her poetry moving and accessible with interesting contrasts of two cultures.

On stage Amira Kheir and Camilo Menjura endured the inclement weather to sing and play.

Amira Kheir and Camilo Menjura
I watched some short Arabic films (with English sub titles).  Some were animated films which I really loved.  These were shown on the big screen in the square.  I also hung around to listen to music from DJ Funky Pharaoh who was finishing one set when I arrived.  I loved the mixes of Arab and western music.  Foot tapping stuff and a few people did brave the weather and dance.

DJ Funky Pharaoh mixing up some great sounds

Lastly I peeked into the tent where there was an Arab drum session taking place.  Wow, stunning stuff.

There is more on at The Square today.  Perhaps if the weather had been better I might have gone back.  I'd have loved to see some dancing!






Comments