Free sport session and the trauma of buying shoes

Today is National Fitness Day. I didn't know this until I went along for my usual sport session this morning and was told that my session today was free! Well, I was surprised. It's not often that you get something for nothing and I'm sure the session was more enjoyable knowing I hadn't paid. I wonder if this will be an annual event. The feeling of not having to pay reminds me of when I get on the bus and the machine for the Oyster cards isn't working and I get a free ride. Small pleasures, etc., etc.

If only
Shoes - accessories I hate buying. I have very narrow feet and buying 'off the shelf' never really works. I've done the fashionable stuff when younger, sticking my feet into heeled shoes where my foot slides to the front and my toes cramp. No more! Sizes are also difficult. In sandals I'm a 5, in shoes I'm 5 and half or six. But these days I've sometimes had to buy size 7. Are shoes getting smaller or are my feet growing again?!! I love my walking shoes because they are so comfortable, otherwise I'm tempted to live in trainers. When I have to dress up I have the outfit but never the right shoes. I can't wear sling backs or those ballerina type which have so little support and barely cover the toes. They just fall off me. Flatties are best but not always attractive. If I have a small heel my foot slides so I need an adjustable strap or laces. Oh joy. My shoes are always stuffed with inner soles and/or heel grips. Also the balls of my feet are so sensitive that they blister easily. People moan because their feet are too wide but there is more choice as at least you can buy wide fitting shoes from chain stores but never narrow ones. I'd love some nice strappy heels, something elegant and sexy.This summer I've practically lived in my Peter Storm sandals because they are so comfortable. Still it will soon be time for boots - boots are better. That's the only good think about the colder weather - I can wear boots!

Comments