Another full-on week and all I want to do is sleep!

After such a full-on weekend at Winchester Writers' Festival (see my other blog for details), I have been so tired. I've barely done any writing. I came back to a messy house. Ratty, due to lack of sleep, I let my feelings be known both verbally and by banging things around in the kitchen! Things have been full on this week and perhaps in hindsight I shouldn't have committed myself to quite so much. All were early starts, so no lie-ins. First was the cafe at the church on Monday morning. I had to be there by nine o'clock. I'd baked a cake before I went to Winchester and stuck it in the freezer. Amazingly I remembered to defrost it in time. Anyway, we'd set up and had our first customer when a load of kids came in with teachers. Apparently they had booked the hall.....ah....a double booking. As they would have paid for the use of the hall (we are a church group so don't pay) we had to pack up and leave. As we were going I had to turn people away. I was a little annoyed (I could have stayed in bed!) but these things happen and it's all been sorted now.


Waverley Abbey House
Yesterday I was attending a 'Inspiring Women Summer Day' day at Waverley Abbey House in Farnham, Surrey. I've been there before, but this time a friend was joining me. We arranged for her to pick me up at Farnham station. I had to be out of the house by 8.30am for my train. It was actually a very gentle day but I seemed to spent a lot of it yawning! The speaker was Fiona Castle (wife of the late Roy Castle) and she was excellent. At seventy-five she stood for all three sessions to speak. She looked at fresh starts, gifts and being comfortable with the person we are, as God made us. There were a couple of times of worship (very different from my church.....quite evangelical). I liked the worship songs which are easy to pick up (I knew two or three) and as usual there was fun and games over the technical part....getting the words on screen from the laptop. Sadly, we had to get a man to come and sort it out the first time!

As part of the package we had lunch and breaks. The food there is always great and there was just time to go for a stroll in the grounds, over the bridge and into the ruins of Waverley Abbey (English Heritage). I was impressed with what was left. I had a real feel for this place. It was a really good day, only spoilt by a bad train connection coming back. The fact that I was getting annoyed meant I was still tired!








Today was back to choir. I missed the concert on Sunday as I was away but all being well I should be there for the end of term concert next month. I came home and had a nap after lunch!

I think my weekend away took more out of me than I realised and I am rather mentally exhausted. Yesterday, Fiona Castle talked about attitude and how we choose to deal with things. Mmmmm, rather apt right now!

Comments