Book Review - Too Close to Home (Linwood Barclay)

I've been on a book buying spree in the last week. A bunch of reads from charity shops and a few new books. I had a £10 voucher burning a hole in my bag and finally used it yesterday in Waterstones (where I bought three books). Today I also paid a visit to the library and was pleased to find one of the books on my 'summer list' I'd been after, brand new - what I call a virgin book - untouched, never been out of the library! It's second on my read list now, so you will have to wait a little longer to find out what it is.

Just finished Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay which is a crime/thriller novel. This is the third book of his I have read and I can never put them down for long because they are so action packed - real page turners. In this one Derek, a teenager, is planning to use the home of his neighbours while they are away to meet his girlfriend. He says goodbye to his best mate and hides in the crawl space until they leave. But the neighbours return because the mum is ill and Derek is stuck there. As he contemplates his escape someone walks in and shoots the family. As the book progresses it seems that the killer may have chosen the wrong house but the twists and turns and how the characters connect is fascinating. There is a sub plot which you are not sure whether it is connected to the main plot or not. If you like fast paced crime, Barclay is your man. I picked up another of his books in the charity shop and intend to read them all eventually. They are quick and easy to read but tension filled and I love the way Barclay writes. The books are set in the USA but Barclay works in Canada, so I am unsure whether he is Canadian or American. Not that it matters because he write great books.

Comments