Book Review - The Medici Mirror (Melissa Bailey)

The Medici Mirror by Melissa Bailey was a nice spooky read. As a fist novel I was impressed. I decided to look up the author and see if she has written anything since, She has!

Melissa' website is great. I spent time watching the videos and reading everything. The mirror is found in a hidden room in the old shoe factory Johnny is asked to renovate. There is a chair, a bed and the blackened mirror over which hangs a pair of green shoes tied with green ribbon. I loved the oppressive feel to this story, how the mirror pulls Johnny further under its spell, and not only him but his girlfriend Ophelia. As Johnny tries to unravel the story of the mirror he is haunted by dreams and nightmares, a woman who is dead but who says she comes to help. But can he save himself? There is a nice little twist at the end of this.

On the website the author reads an extract. There are details of the second book (I'll have to read that now!). I love discovering new authors. This book was picked up at the library and certainly kept me reading.

Comments