An escape from the mince pies

By Gabriel's Wharf (Southbank)
Today was getaway day....that day when you have to escape from the TV, the chocolates and mince pies, nuts and the tempting After Eights.

The hubs and I did go for a Boxin
g Day walk, which helped, and I escaped to the High Street a couple of times 'just to see what's open!' and bought a desk diary. But I needed more.

After the dark, dull days, this morning arrived sunny and inviting. I set off for London with no real plans (very unusual for me as I usually plan everything to the second). I took several maps and had vague ideas. I walked to the station only to discover that I hadn't got my Oyster 60+ card (which also contains my Senior Citizens Railcard). Slight panic as I tried to remember when I last used it, which jacket I was wearing etc. Walked home rather annoyed. Arrived back and checked the pocket of my waterproof jacket and there it was. Now half an hour behind schedule (suddenly I had a schedule!), I couldn't face walking back to the station so decided to go to the bus stop and catch whichever bus came (well two of three that stop). I made another decision (wow another so quickly) and got off at the next station and got the train into London. I had now made another decision (is this me?) and walked along the Southbank towards Tate Modern to see an exhibition only to find it wasn't on there! This will teach me to double check - I've since found out it's at the V&A! Not to be defeated I took some photos of the installation piece in the hall at Tate Modern and headed out.

All the sunshine was on the north bank of the Thames and I wanted it! Crossing over the Millennium Bridge I was then on the sunny side where I stopped a couple of time. The second time I found a lovely place to sit with my feet up and read. Took a slow walk back and crossed back to Southbank and visited Foyles bookshop (as you do) and bought a book on walking Regent's Canal.

A strange sort of day - none of my vague plans came about but it was lovely to be outside in the sun. It felt more like a warm October day than late December. When I came home I was straight into the mince pies. Diet starts in January!

Empty Plot - Tat Modern



Millennium Bridge



Comments