Going vegan for a month - Day Thirty


The penultimate day of veganism! Today while I was at the library I went to see what cook books they had. There were a few vegetarian ones and then I found the Vegan Bible. Well, I just had to borrow this one.

I spent quite a while looking through it. There is an introduction on why vegan? It then goes on to explain the why and then to talk about nutrition and ingredients. Now while the book has some great recipes there are some which use ingredients I've never heard of and never seen. I won't bother with those. I did rather like reading about making your own vegan cheese and cream, I  might have a go at a few of those. There was a recipe for chickpea rissoles that looked easy and another using polenta. I used to cook with buckwheat but don't have any at present. There were some good recipes using that so I might buy another packet.

The sections covered dips, soups, egg-free, grains, recipes for children and special occasions. There are cakes to bake, drinks to make. The whole lot is there and although my vegan pledge is nearly at an end I will have a go at some of these and report back.,

I have decided I will definitely have some vegan days in my week. I can't say I'll not eat certain things. For instance I'm attending an Advent service on Monday where the ladies put on a lovely tea afterwards. It's one of the highlights of the season. The sandwiches will no doubt have butter or some butter type spread and for me they will come as egg or cream cheese. So all three forbidden foods will come in one package. And I'll eat them. Hypocrite? Guilty as charged.

Two nights later I'm at a Christmas get together with book club. I've no idea what I'm eating as the only veggie dish has goat's cheese and that I can't stomach. I'll let you know what happens.

(I've just managed to burn the rice for my dinner - oh joy. I think it's salvageable, just.)

Today I picked up some soya cream. I've used this before and it's nice. I also bought some vegetable burgers from Waitrose which are vegan friendly, oh and some more Mini Moos (I have a thing about them!).

Lunch today was yesterday's left over spag bol which I served in a wrap with side salad and vegan mayo.

Dinner is the last of the spag bol (without the spag) with rice! You can see I hate waste and aim to be somewhat versatile with my re-working of the dishes! Hmm!


The food I've cooked has, on the whole, been my own recipes, experimenting with herbs and spices. Some I'd do a little differently another time. Some I've loved like the pasta with the avocado dressing, my lentil bake, sweet and sour tofu, roasted veg and stir fries. The vegan cheese was a surprise and I want to check out different ones. I might try more adventurous things when I have more time. I adore Pret A Manger's range. I believe Pizza Express do a vegan pizza but I haven't sampled it. There is so much to learn out there, so many new things to try. A vegan diet isn't the end of good food. It's colourful, fun and delicious and I'll be going forward with it.

So what am I going to do on my last day of veganism tomorrow? Ah well you'll have to wait and see.

Comments