A leisurely day in Limehouse

St James Gardens, just down the road from where
I am staying
If anything, today was colder than yesterday! I had only vague plans with nothing too strenuous after yesterday's canal walk.

Ice, frost and mist. That about sums up the weather. Oh, I forgot sun. Actually it has been another wonderful day despite the cold. Wrapped up well I set off after breakfast to amble through St James Gardens and out along Limehouse Basin. This time, instead of continuing round I headed towards the Thames Path and from the bridge viewed London in both directions along the river, in a sunny haze. Walking in the direction of Canary Wharf the Thames Path leaves the river for a while due to some very expensive apartments and businesses that overlook the Thames. But it's not long before the path rejoins the river. Although I walked as far as Canary Wharf (which in fact only takes 15 minutes at the most at a stroll, I'd say), I didn't go into the heart of the place. Instead I turned back and came off the main road, entering another park. There was a notice up for the Ragged School Museum and I thought I might take a look, but after the one notice I could not find the way even after scrutinizing the handy maps dotted around (usually so useful). As it happens I later discovered (from a book I had at my accommodation) that the Museum only opens on the first Sunday of the month and two week days (when I won't be here), Another time maybe, though I still haven't tracked down where it is (must do an internet search some time).

Canary Wharf looming out of the mist

Limehouse Basin iced over

Go left after the bridge to follow the Basin round, right takes you to the Thames Path

Looking back to the city of London

Towards Canary Wharf
I returned to the B&B for a coffee and spent some time writing - I began a short story - and as it was still too early for lunch (after a late breakfast) I went to explore the chapel here at The Royal Foundation of St Katharine. What a beautiful place and very peaceful. I'd also discovered the conservatory and this is where I parked myself as the sun was streaming through. I completed the story I'd started (all hand written!) and then did some reading.

Doors to the Chapel





Shortly after 1pm I headed next door to the Yurt Cafe and ordered a Yurt Veggie (all day breakfast) and tea. What an atmosphere there is in the cafe. The structure is round with a clear circle in the ceiling. There is, leading off of the cafe, a place of reflection, and an art space, community meeting spaces and toilets. I was tempted to take photos but it felt intrusive (very busy) so please follow the link to get the full picture (pun conveniently intended).

After my late lunch I headed back to the lounge for more reading before returning to my room for a nap! I have some food in for later and an evening online doing various things.

I have one more full day to come. I have that planned!

A lovely place to read and write (the conservatory)


Comments