Two Walks, a celebration and a film

Busy week so far. It was techie son's birthday (he's now 28) on Monday and he also has a week off work. He was keen to do some walks, especially as last year he did nothing on his breaks from work due to his broken knee. So we schedule the second half of the Beverley Brook walk for his birthday. Unfortunately it was overcast, windy and none too warm but we went anyway. We followed the brook through part of Richmond Park and out through a small common onto Barnes Common. Here I spotted as old disused cemetery. For some reason I find old graveyards interesting so I wandered off to take some photos. The most recent graves were from the 1950's, but everything is overgrown and uncared for, which is rather sad. I didn't even know the place existed.

Beverley Brook, Richmond Park



The Brook runs under houses and roads - here a glimpse from a bridge


Barnes Common - here we can go no further as the path runs out.

Old cemetery, Barnes Common



We carried on and eventually we found where Beverley Brook runs into the River Thames (quite close to Putney) and followed the Thames to Putney Bridge. I thought it would be nice to have something to eat and remembered that St Mary's Church has a cafe. Problem is I hardly had any cash left (we'd stopped near Roehampton Gate in Richmond Park for a hot chocolate!). We set off to find a cash point but came across Costa at the Odeon. We went there instead and I could pay by card! Afterwards we caught the bus home.

Nearly there.

The brook meets the Thames

Beverley Brook and the River Thames looking towards Hammersmith

In the other direction (where we were going) is Putney

In the evening we went out for a meal at Pizza Express to celebrate my son's birthday and I managed to get my other son there too, so it was a nice family event.

Yesterday (Tuesday) hubby and I went to see the film Their Finest. We had the cinema almost to ourselves. There was one other person! It had those nice reclining chairs - much fun was had with those. The film was brilliant. Take tissues if you are going to see it.

Today after choir practice the birthday boy met me and we set off for a short walk along the Thames from Kingston to Hampton Court. The day was beautiful - warm and sunny. I'd packed a small picnic which we ate from a bench overlooking the river. At Hampton Court we ventured into the Palace gardens and I went searching for ice cream. Then it was off to the station for the train home.


River Thames, Kingston Bridge

Lunch



Hampton Court Palace

Palace Gardens

When only Ice Cream will do!


Looking towards Molesey Lock (from Hampton Court Bridge)

Comments