Vanessa Bell - Exhibtion - Dulwich Picture Gallery

Taken in Dulwich Park
I suspect the reason I'm fascinated by the Bloomsbury Group is because they were different. They splattered their art over walls and doors of their home at Charleston House in Sussex. They designed carpets, linens and pottery and formed a company (Omega).

Last weekend a friend and I went to the Dulwich Picture Gallery to see Vanessa Bell's exhibition. Some of the works had never been seen by the public before. As well as paintings, swatches of linen and pottery pieces there were personal photos. I really enjoyed looking at these. I can see why Vanessa Bell fell for Duncan Grant - he's so good looking! To say that their family set up was complicated is doing it an injustice. The more I read about authors, painters and other artists I realise nearly all have these different and difficult lives . They are complex, plagued by anxieties and depression and form difficult relationships with others. But their art, in whatever that may be, is outstanding.

Part of this exhibition includes a corner dedicated to photos taken by the singer/writer Patti Smith (I always think of her in terms of the record Because The Night that I have!). She was allowed to take photos inside Charleston House. Her photos, all black and white, have a nostalgic feel about them. They are close-ups of Vanessa's bed, a vase, not rooms as a whole. As well as the Charleston set of prints there are a shots of the graves of famous people like Dylan Thomas. I think I've said this before but graveyards fascinate me too! In fact when my friend and I were coming back to the station at West Dulwich we saw a poster for an open day at Nunhead Cemetery. I was intrigued. There are to be tours and black horses and hearses. The open day is today! I'd loved to have gone but my friend and I are off to Brighton this weekend! I have my rucksack on the bed right now and should be packing.

I'm a bit off subject here. Anyway, my fascination with the Bloomsbury Group goes on and there is another house and church I wish to visit sometime, both with connections to the family.

After the exhibition we headed over the road to Dulwich Park and admired the flowers. By the way, it's not too late to catch the exhibition - it's on until 4th June. Well worth a trip.






Comments