Monet & Architecture - National Gallery


The Fourth Plinth (Trafalgar Square)
A friend and I visited the Monet & Architecture Exhibition at the National Gallery last Thursday afternoon. On entering there is a cinema to the right where a film shows a bit about Monet's life and work. After that we entered the exhibition itself. Monet's early works were quite a surprise. I'd never seen them before and would probably never have known they were his had I come across them without a label stating his name. They were a pleasant surprise. Later we moved on to paintings suffused with different light affects. My friend and I both found Monet's work on trees and reflection wonderful. Monet's paintings of London I had seen before fairly recently in another exhibition. Two in particular stood out for me with the Houses of Parliament bathed in late light - one has almost silver sky and reflection in the Thames, the other of sunset is like fire.

This was an interesting exhibition (yes, Monet's garden was on show - would love to visit there). Often I don't book exhibitions in advance but we did book this one knowing it would be very popular, and it was busy.

Afterwards we ambled off across Trafalgar Square and found something rather exciting which we have now booked for a join birthday treat (our birthdays are 15 days apart). All will be revealed at a later date!

Taken from the terrace at the Courtauld Gallery

Gardens by Embankment where we had tea.

Comments