Kenwood House visit

It was busy week last week and the last of my days out came on Saturday when I went with a friend to Kenwood House in Hampstead. We didn't quite have the weather as the skies were grey but at least it didn't rain and it was warm. We had a stroll across part of the Heath and managed to get lost on the way back!

The house is free to walk around or you can pay for a tour. The volunteers are very knowledgeable and will happily approach you and explain about the room or the paintings. And there are a lot of paintings. Here you will find all the big names Renoir, Joshua Reynolds, Rembrandt, Gainsborough, Turner and Edwin Landseer. They are mainly portraits and landscapes. The collection belonged to Edward Cecil Guinness (yes, he of the Guinness drink), 1st Earl of Iveagh.

I swooned over the library and the music room was pretty cool. I should say the architecture is by Robert Adam. Those who lived here were Lord Mansfield, his great niece Dido Belle and of course Edward Guinness.

There is a lovely tea shop/cafe with ample seating inside and out and a couple of gift shops. I think my friend and I will making a return visit to Hampstead soon - Keats House is on the agenda!

Hampstead Heath
 
Kenwood House


Library


London Bridge when it had shops



The Music Room


View across London



Comments