March4Women Rally

Bianca Jagger
There is always something going on in London and often there are demonstrations and rallies you don't know about unless you see them on the news or are a member of the organisation. Yesterday I was part of such a rally!

International Women's Day sparks lots of female related events and I was pleased to be part of March4Women (through Care International UK). The event began inside the auditorium at the Royal Festival Hall with speakers, poetry and music. The speakers were powerful women - scientists, environmentalists and campaigners including Bianca Jagger and Helen Pankhurst.

From the Southbank we marched over Hungerford Bridge to Whitehall Place to join with other groups from the WI, Oxfam, Friends of the Earth and a whole host of other concerned groups to speak out about equality for women and climate justice. Women and children are on the front line in the climate crisis because they are the ones that maintain the crops, go out and look for water and feed the family. They will go without food so their children can eat. Yesterday we were their voices.

Climate change cannot be denied (though some still do). We have seen the effect here, but in the developing world - countries whose carbon footprint is the least and people who have the least - are losing the battle against the weather conditions caused by the first world, namely us in the west. That is why yesterday I felt compelled to protest.




This world is run by men, CEO's of these big polluting companies are  mainly men. Men make the decisions women and developing countries suffer the after affects from. Governments and big business don't want change because they see the world in terms of making a profit, but that profit is at the expense of others who get no say.

We have lost 99% of species that have ever lived on this earth. We are part of the 1% left. Think about that.

I don't often use my blog for this purpose, however, I love this world and it is the only one we have. I enjoy travelling and exploring and nature and animals have always been close to my heart. This year I have made lots of changes to the way I live to try and reduce my carbon footprint, especially with ditching the plastics. Yesterday was a first for me in terms of joining with others to rally. I did observe Extinction Rebellion in Trafalgar Square last year because I happened to be there. I found myself drawn into things. I took loads of photos and joined in with a bit of chanting. I think I got the feel for the power of ordinary people coming together for one cause.

I believe we can change things - we have to or what are we leaving for the generations to come? This I firmly believe - we need the earth more than the earth needs us. The earth will rise again but we may not be there to see it!

Please consider signing the climate change petition on the home page of Care International UK. Every signature helps.
Helen Pankhurst (middle) gives a powerful speech (Royal Festival Hall)

A scientist, a member of the DEC and climate refugee speak

Urban Voices Collective

Brollies up in Parliament Square as Sandi Toksvig speaks

Sadiq Khan

____________

(I have not written on this blog for some time now because I have begun a new blog on WordPress. I intend to keep this blog for now but most of my travels are posted on the new blog. You can catch up there https://mylondon.travel.blog/ though do look in here occasionally for a post.) 

Comments