Walk - Bourton-on-the-Water

The lake

 I'm staying in Bourton-on-the-Water for a week on a special interest holiday - Creative Writing and Walking. The Creative Writing part, which I do each morning, will be posted on my writing blog eventually, so this week I'm just concentrating on a walk I did yesterday, with photos taken on my Tablet. My laptop is away for repairs and I don't know how to link my mobile to the tablet for photos, so I'm reliant on the tablet for all the writing and photography for this blog. Apologies if it's not up to the usual standard.

Everywhere in the Cotswolds is saturated after weeks of rain. Many fields are waterlogged, the rest just very muddy. I opted out of the first guided walk as it sounded rather too muddy for me. This afternoon I'm going to attempt the next one, borrowing walking poles if need be to get me across the worset bits. Our leader jokingly said she would lay down her coat for me. She has a great sense of humour.

However, yesterday in my free time I discovered a walk of my own up to Greystone Nature Reserve, where there is a farm where you can buy fresh milk and cheese and see the cows (photos of that will have to come later!). From there a track takes you back in time with dates affixed to the fence telling how the land was used and who lived here. At the end of the trail is a replica of an Iron Age house. The gate was shut but I managed to get a photo through the wooden gate (sorry, photo another time).



I met a lady coming from the other direction and I asked her  for the best way round and how muddy it was. The worst bits was by the two gates, but after that, shen said, it was all track back to the road. So I walked around the best of the muddy parts to get through the gates and then I was on a tarmaced surface walking by a lake. It was peaceful, and the clouds were spectacular. I met a horse and robin and I'm sure there were many other birds. I could hear them but not see them. The path leads to the back of a cemetary. I've always liked photographing cemetaries, for some reason. Not far from there was the road which led back into Bourton.

Sheep farm

Cemetary



It was a lovely short walk, and while I had the tablet with me, I took a few photos of Bourton in the sunshine because I didn't know how long the weather would hold this week. The first day it had rained all afternoon.

More to come next week.


Bourton-on-the-Water








Comments