Canary Wharf, Docklands Museum and a floating church

 I think I have said before that it is hard to find any galleries or museums open on a Monday in London, but that was the only day my friend and I could meet. It was she who suggested the Docklands Museum, and it was open!

Canary Wharf was windy (as always) and the day overcast. We took the DLR to West India Dock and before going into the museum we visited a floating church. St Peter's sits in the dock opposite the museum and caters for people living in the area. My friend had been to a service here, but today the chairs had been stacked away and all there was to see were bookstalls and a couple of people eating lunch. But what a great idea to have a floating church. Very apt for the place and I couldn't offhand think where the nearest church would be to Canary Wharf. Despite the highrise offices there are a lot of apartments at Canary Wharf. My daughter-in-law used to live here. How nice to have a local church at last.

Inside the church




Just outside, and nothing to do with the church, you could hire a floating hot-tub or something similar but with a parasol and barbeque. There was someone out in the dock in one, but it wasn't quite the day for it without a good thick fleece!

Canary Wharf


Hire a hot-tub

I have been to the Docklands Museum at least twice before, and we began with lunch, that all important stop to eat together and catch up on things since the last time we met. We then headed for the second floor which is bigger than you think, and contains permanent displays of all things shipping and the old docks before they died and it became what it is today.

Photos from taken in the museum

Build your own Thames tunnel!





Some of these can still be seen in the Thames Estuary


No trip there is complete without a visit to the gift shop. I told myself 'no more books'. That sadly slipped away when I spotted a book about bridges over the River Thames. Reader, I bought it!

Irrisistable


And that's all there is this week. Happy travelling and make the most of any sunshine that comes your way this week.


Shopping Mall



Comments