Summer Exhibition at the RA

Overview of one room at the Summer Exhibition

The Summer Exhibition has been an almost yearly thing to attend for me and a friend, and on a very wet afternoon we were pleased we had chosen it.

We had the usual comments to make 'I could do that', 'what?!', 'oh, I like that', moments of looking up close to see how things are made and admiring the detail in a piece. It's all there from the crazy to the well crafted. I always like the little models, though there seemed less of these this year, and less protest artworks. I feel sorry for the artists whose work is way up high so you cannot see them well, or the light shines off them. However, the good thing about the Summer Exhibition is that you can view every artwork online as well.

Anselm Kiefer RA - Hortus Concluses
One of my favourite artists
I love the way he uses texture

I find the exhibition inspiring and you have artists who are members of the RA and ordinary Joe Bloggs sharing wall space. Like every creative work, art is down to the judges and what they like. I am sure many good pieces don't get chosen and sometimes we wonder why a judge chose that particular work. But a reaction is still a reaction whether we like it or not.

Anyway, here are a few works I enjoyed out of 1710 exhibits. You may ask why I like them. Keep wondering! Sorry I don't have the names of all artists.


Down Amongst the Trilobites - Peter Randall-Page RA

Objects

RRS Sir David Attenborough Moored at Greenwich - David Grinaway


Drawing 1962 - Nigel Hall RA

This had music of violins playing

Souvenir from the Anthropocene - Claire Douglass

Kings Cross with Canal Boats & Google Landscaper - Melissa Scott-Miller (Like the one of the right too).

The Pumpkin Farmer's Kitchen - Steven Davis

Detail of larger piece - quite fascinating



 

Comments