![]() |
| The River Thames from Hungerford Bridge |
On Friday night I headed for St Martin's-in-the-Fields, London, to hear a selection of music from Handel's Water Music, plus some other choice pieces. This is one of my favourite venues in London. There is always so much going on there. It has a super cafe and shop in the crypt. However, on Friday it was hot inside. Outside, it was cooler than it had been for a while, but buildings hold the heat, and this one certainly did.
![]() |
| Inside St Martin's with it's unique window |
Normally I have a seat to the side in one of the boxes, but this time I tried one of seats in the nave pews. I also took along my little fold-up mat to sit on as I know how hard the pews are. Actually, the pew seats seemed a little more forgiving than the boxes. However, I couldn't see that well, and I wondered if next time I might explore the gallery, though it depends on how expensive the seats are.
The programme was good, with music from Purcell and Pachelbel (Canon in D, my favourite), as well as Handel. But one hour was enough in that heat. I just about hung on.
It was so much cooler outside, so I had a nice walk back to the station over Hungerford Bridge.
The day before I met a friend in Richmond and we walked to a cafe under Richmond Bridge, which has become our favourite since the cafe at M&S has closed. It has son much plant based food I am in heaven! We had lunch there sitting under the shade of the lovely trees overlooking the river. It was too hot to walk, so we just chatted away into the afternoon until it was time to leave. Sometimes it's good not to do anything!
![]() |
| Richmond |
Yesterday, my son and I took Rue to Nonsuch Park. This was probably the longest walk Rue's had since the heatwaves. Nonsuch is where King Henry VIII had a palace built. There is nothing left of it now, just information. There is still Nonsuch Mansion which has gardens and a cafe. We used the cafe, but parts of the garden are restricted to dogs, so we could not go into them, even with Rue on the lead.
We found a nice shaded walk among the trees to keep Rue as cool as possible. Even though it wasn't as hot as of late, it was still around 24c and quite hot in the sun. Do have a look at the link to Nonsuch Park as it holds lots of information, the history, and great photographs. I found out something interesting. This was the local haunt of the botanist David Ballamy. I know he lived in Carshalton for a time, so it makes sense.
![]() |
| The Mansion House |
















Comments
Post a Comment