A quick visit to Winchester

River Itchen, Winchester


I was in Winchester less than 24 hours and certainly could have done with longer, but I'd mainly gone there to see Libera in concert in the cathedral. Libera are a south London boys choir who I first saw performing on Songs of Praise many moons ago and was blown away by them. The boys age from seven to sixteen, and obviously have changed over the years as they become older. However, the quality of the singing never stays the same. I have two of their albums (and bought another on the night).

Winchester cathedral looked splendid with banners lining the nave. The concert has all the elements of a show. There is lighting, a small orchestra, and the boys wear their distinctive white hooded robes. During the concert some of boys spoke about what they do, and the songs they would be singing. To see them live was uplifting and their sound often moved me. Such beautiful voices. I couldn't get the music out of my head afterwards.





Before the concert I had visiting The Arc to see The Scottish Colourist Exhibition. This overlapped somewhat with a group called The Glasgow Boys and The Bloomsbury Group. Artists such as Furguson, Peploe, Duncan Grant. Do have a look at this link









Afterwards I grabbed a quick cuppa before doing what I rarely do in Winchester: have a look around the shops. This was followed by a quick walk along the river Itchen, where I found some unexpected lush planting surviving in the heat of our summer.















I stayed in Winchester overnight and caught the train back to London early. I would love to have stayed longer, but I didn't have the time. Hopefully, I'll make it back later in the year.

And to give you an idea of the sound of Libera, here is one track.



Comments