Catching up


Colour along Beeline

 Last week was more a chance to catch up with things I've not done over the summer because it was too hot. So, the garden finally got attention. I dug over two of the beds and seeded them with green manure to improve the quality of the soil. I then tackled the side beds. Already my grape hyacinths are coming up, while the grass, which I also cut, is gradually recovering (the more shaded side faster).

I longed for colour in the garden after the summer of dead things. Now pansies are in the side beds and some containers. I also claimed back part of the grass by one bed which has over the years encroached. After all this gardening my body ached, especially my legs. There is still much to do, but my geraniums survived and the two remaining tomato plants. Mostly the tomatoes are green as they were planted out late, but a few have ripened and taste delicious.

Strangely, I felt calmer once the garden was in better shape and I could enjoy sitting out. The weather here in the south east is still summer-like but without that scorching heat. The week has been warm enough for shorts and tee shirts and I am enjoying it.

So, I didn't have the chance to visit anywhere last week. I took Rue on his walks and did chores. However, I did take Rue along the Beeline Way, which runs by the railway line. It's been a long time since I have taken him there. I avoid it at weekends and during school holidays as it gets really busy. There is a cycle lane, and although Rue knows the command 'this side', he sometimes has selective hearing! I keep an eye on him and the cycle lane while he is off the lead. He gets to meet a few other dogs and he loves the wooded area.

The start of the Beeline

cycle lane to the right

Always with his nose in something!

Sports field at Raynes Park


Before this was converted into a walkway, my brother tells me it was an old railway line, yet I have these images of having seen cows down there, so I think it was also farmland. Certainly, there was farmland in this area, one was called Hoppingwood Farm. A friend of mine now lives on that road. I've always lived in the same town, so have seen so many changes. We had cinemas and lots of independent shops, including a wool shop, North's the sweet shop (favourite of mine), record shops, Woolworths, a Cullens and an electricity shop where my mum went to pay the bills! The Co-op had a big supermarket as well as a furniture shop (now a McDonalds).



The golf course

The wooded area


The  bridge over the railway which is now higher.
My dad used to take my son here and hold him up so he could see the trains.

These days we have charity shops, cafes and restaurants, and a few supermarkets. There are no banks left (apart from Nationwide which opens certain days of the week), gyms (!), nail bars and vape shops. We lost Blockbuster (loved taking the kids there), Smiths (I mourn that loss) and Poundland and Wilco (I miss Wilco).

I guess my town is like many others in that the cafes are part of a chain. I try to use independent ones when I can. We get a lot of those discount stores, while I long for a bookshop! Even the leisure centre has changed. When it was council owned, they had a wide range of courses. Now it's all gym, swimming and sport. I do play short tennis there, but years ago they ran computer courses where I learned to use Word 6? (remember that) before returning to work after looking after my children for ten years.

I have things planned for this week, meanwhile I am off to the library this morning. Thank goodness that still exists.


I found this old photo of Hoppingwood Farm online


Comments