 |
| View from the front of Holy Trinty Church showing the high street, Abbot's Hospital and the vintage vehicles. |
Guildford isn't that far from me as the crow flies. Driving it is just down the A3 and takes about twenty minutes to half an hour. Public transport takes about an hour by train and over an hour by bus from Kingston. As there were engineering works on the train line, I had no choice but to take the bus. I've done it before and it is a nice ride out. You go through some nice countryside and towns such as Cobham and Ripley, and then you hit the A3 for a speedy run for a while.
Being a Saturday, the bus was busy, and stopped more often. There were was also road works! I finally rolled into Guildford around eleven fifteen. I had three places on my agenda to see - The Guildhall, Abbot's Hospital and the castle. Everything was free to visit, and some places, like the Guildhall, were rarely open to the public due to lack of volunteers.
Guildford has everything - lots of lovely listed buildings, a pedestrianised high street with the famous clock, gardens, a castle, a museum, walks and the river. The downs are just behind the town and the views from there are terrific. It is a place I keep returning to.
My first port of call on Saturday was the Guildhall, the former court house. Built in tudor times, the rooms are wood-panelled, but there are exposed beams on one wall. Outside there was a choir singing opposite (I had stopped to listen before going in). Downstairs would have been the cells, but sadly there is nothing left of them as it's now a kitchen and a toilet. Outside is the magnificent clock, made in 1683.
 |
Guidhall
|
Across the road were some vintage cars, a motorbike and a bus which were attracting a lot of attention. There were further buses offering rides from Guildford Library.
 |
| Outside the Guildhall - the Town Crier & Mayor |
My next stop was Abbot's Hospital, which was never a hospital at all but almshouses for the single, poor people, over 60's and of good standing. It was founded in 1619 by George Abbot, whose statue stands at the top of the high street, and his tomb is found in Holy Trinity Church. The almshouses are still used to today as living quarters, except they have been updated and couples can live here. The short tour included the common room, a look out the back to the gardens and the chapel. There are paid tours where you can see the masters office and one of the other rooms at the top of the building. It is a beautiful building and I can imagine it is nice to live there.
 |
| The original door bell! Abbot's Hospital |
 |
| The back view |
 |
| Chapel |
 |
| Chapel with pews from Holy Trinity Church |
From there I wandered over to Holy Trinity Church. This church dominates the high street and I was surprised by how ornate the inside was. The chapel and altar are quite stunning, and the interior is spacious. The pews have been replaced by modern seating, In fact some of the old pews are now in the chapel at Abbot's Hospital as the original chapel had no seating. In those days residents were expected to attend two services a day. Now they do not have to attend any if they don't want to.
 |
| Chapel, Holdy Trinity Church |
 |
| George Abbot's tomb |
At the back of the church is the churchyard and some colourful brickwork which looks older than the rest. I went through there after lunch to make my way to the castle. Normally the castle has been closed when I have visited before, but today I could have a look. Mostly it is ruins, but you can climb up to the top for views across Guildford and beyond. The castle gardens looked amazing. Whoever looks after them has done a wonderful job through the heatwaves to have so much colour on display. It's a peaceful place to sit away from the hustle and bustle of the town. From here you also get a view of Guildford Cathedral in the distance. I have been there in the past, but there was no time today. Nor was there time to say hello to the River Wey, but I will be back.
 |
| War Memorial |
 |
| Guildford Carthedral on the horizon |
 |
| Castle |
 |
| Views from the top of the castle |
One place I was glad to see still there is the Tourist Information Centre. Last time I was there, I was told they might be shut down. Thank goodness they are still operating. Perhaps the fact that there is a gallery in the same building helps So many of these information centres have shut and gone online, but when I visit a place I always search them out if there is one. I visited the gallery which is in an old house. There is a lovely staircase and rooms above where the gallery is. Downstairs leads to a craft shop. I have added the Centre's website. They deserve to continue. Not only is there local information, but little Guildford gifts and books to buy. I didn't get out of there without buying something!
 |
| Staircase, Gallery (Info Centre) |
 |
| Former bedroom, now part of the gallery |
 |
| Back of the Tourist Info Centre |
 |
| An old building near the church |
All too soon my time was over. I had a long journey back, but I will return. There is more I want to see. Years ago I walked the River Way from Guildford to Godalming, and that was lovely. I want to walk more of the river in the other direction. I've not yet decided where to join it, but I have filed it away in my 'walks to be done' part of my brain!
Along with Winchester and Norwich, Guildford is my go-to place for everything I desire. If there is a river running through it, I'm there!
 |
| George Abbot who founded Abbot's Hospital |
 |
| View down the high street with the old coaching inn to the right |
 |
| I once stayed here in the old coaching inn (Angel Hotel) |
Comments
Post a Comment