![]() |
| St George's Hanover Square |
Having been to the Handel Hendrix House, I wanted to visit the church George Frederic Handel attended while in London. This is St George's, Hanover Square, very close to the house in Brook Street.
I was surprised there wasn't more about Handel in the church itself. There was a leaflet explaining that Handel moved to Brook Street while the church was being built, and he became involved in the affairs of the new parish. His opinion was sought over the organ and was part of the panel who interviewed organists. By the time he died he had been a worshipper for thirty-five years.
The church is also the home of the annual London Handel Festival, which was founded nearly 50 years ago. Famous weddings at the church include: Emma Hart to Sir William Hamilton (1791), the poet Shelly to Harriet Westbrook (1814), Benjamin Disraeli to Maryb Lewis (1839) and George Eliot and John Cross (1880).
There is talk of an undercroft or crypt opening in the autumn of this year, which might be interesting, but personally I did not find the church had that cosy feel. I think I expected more. Or maybe I was having an off day. It does have a stunning stained glass window, though.
After the visit to the church, I ambled around some of the other roads. I was disappointed to find that Caffe Nero had moved out of its spot at St James', Piccadilly, and the cafe replacing it had run out of English Breakfast Tea. I wasn't impressed! Instead, I found a lovely cafe further down and was delighted with my refreshments. I'd go back there.
![]() |
| Burlington Arcade |
I walked through Burlington Arcade and looked in shop windows with items with no prices on them, meaning I'd never afford them!
I also nipped into the Royal Academy to use their toilets! I thought I might have a quick look around while there and spotted something about John Constable, and I ended up buying something in the shop!
![]() |
| English Breakfast Tea nicely presented |
![]() |
| Staircase - Fortnum & Mason |
![]() |
| Royal Academy |
![]() |
| Sir Joshua Reynolds palette |
![]() |
| John Constable |
![]() |
| John Constable's application to the Royal Academy |


















Comments
Post a Comment