![]() |
| Toast - The Sound of Bread |
Who here remembers a band called Bread from the USA? Known for their soft rock ballads, they had many hits like Baby I'm-a Want You and If. Their music had beautiful lyrics as well as melodies.
Unfortunately, Bread are no more. Some band members are no longer with us, though David Gates is still around. However, there is a great tribute band touring called Toast! Last week they were at Cadogan Hall in London and I went along to see them with a friend. They performed all of Bread's hits so well and even performed a song written about the group as a tribute to their songwriting, which was beautiful.
They churned out song after song - Diary (always makes me want to cry), Make it with You, Everything I Own, Freedom, Aubrey, It Don't Matter to Me and many, many more. The group interacted with the audience well, talking about the group and the songs they wrote, and their were plenty of laughs too. I didn't realise that they wrote some songs for The Carpenters. I always thought Richard Carpenter wrote everything, (except that Beatles number...Please Mister Postman). You learn something new every day.
It was a lovely evening, taking me back home to when I lived with my mum and dad and all those memories. And then they played Guitar Man and I was gone! Wow!
Before the concert we found a great rooftop cafe in Peter Jones in Sloane Square. We grabbed a table by the window and enjoyed views. Here are a few photos I took.
![]() |
| Cadogan Hall |
![]() |
| Peter Jones Christmas shop is open! |
![]() |
| View from the rooftop cafe in Peter Jones |
![]() |
| Six floors - Peter Jones |
![]() |
| Inside Cadogan Hall |
A couple of days after the concert I went to see the The Portrait of Dorian Grey, adapted from the book by Oscar Wilde. I do like Wilde's work and have read a few of his stories. This one I'd read and also seen the TV adaptation, so I was interested to see how they adapted it for stage. The play was well done, though the ending had been changed slightly. All in all a good version of the story of a young man who sells his soul to remain young, and the person he becomes because of it. The play is currently on at The Palace Theatre, Watford.
See you next week.












Comments
Post a Comment