Retreat Experience









Branksome Beach and cliff strata,
Poole (Old Town), Poole,
Ferry, Old Harry Rock, Sandbanks (expensive houses!)











Have just returned from a three night stay at a Christian Retreat Centre just outside Bournemouth in Hampshire. This was not a 'led retreat' but just a chance to be on my own to read, pray, relax or go out and do my own thing but with opportunities to meet together at morning and evening prayers in the chapel (Holy Communion on Tuesday) and to sit and eat together at mealtimes. There were only four other guests at one time and our hosts (Ministers) sat with us, as did some staff members. Breakfast was a simple affair of help-yourself fruit juice, cereal, fruit and toast-your-own bread and unlimited teas/coffee. We were encouraged to help clear the table as unlike a hotel, staff was at a minimum. Lunch was a light main course followed by fresh fruit or a packed lunch if your wanted to go out. The main meal at night was a two course affair (with lovely puddings!). The house had two lounges (one a 'quiet room' for those who didn't want to chat and which had a small library of religious and secular books) and there was a conservatory where you could do art work. Outside there was a pool lounge with TV and an outdoor pool. The gardens had prayer sheds, lots of trees and shrubs etc. with benches to sit and relax. By the reception was a little shop selling cards, CD's and books (faith based) and each floor had a guest kitchen. I had a twin room with teat/ciffe making facilities and an ensuite bathroom but I used the kitchen to store my soya milk in the fridge.
The people I met were really nice, especially the elderly lady who was struggling after a fall seven months ago and who came with a friend who helped her. We used to have chats at meals and in the lounge after the evening meal.

I had taken a few books with me, one 'Finding Sanctuary' by Abbot Christopher Jamison who was involved in the TV series The Monastery a few years ago, I had been keeping for just this sort of time. It has been a good choice. I have been keeping a journal of my time at Green Pastures which includes what I did, how I felt, notes about the book I was reading and some poetry inspired by my stay/feelings.
On my first full day I went to Westbourne shops, just up the road and wandered around there. It has a lovely arcade and unique shops. I found a nice cafe where I sat outside drinking hot chocolate. In the afternoon I walked down to Branksome Beach (about 20 minutes down a lovely avenue). I sat and read or just watched the people and I felt I really wanted to walk on the sand and paddle in the sea - so I did! The next day I took the bus into Poole, had a look round the old town and on the spur of the moment took a boat trip out to see Old Harry Rock, passed Brownsea Island and also Sanbanks where all the rich and famous, including footballers, live. It was a lovely day.

I watched no TV nor read any papers all the time I was there and I didn't miss it one bit. Being on my own great, as was the silence (I quickly got used to it). I went to morning and evening prayers (except the morning I left as I was busy packing).
On my return I asked myself - do I feel different? The answer is yes. How? Difficult to say, but calmer springs to mind. I feel there has been a change in me, it certainly did me good and I have much to think about. My stay has definitely affected me. It snuck up on me! I went for the peace, to be alone and seek a spiritual relationship with God which is hard to find sometimes in the everyday busyness of life. I would definitely recommend it. I think even people who are not religious could benefit from 'time-out' somewhere like these. I believe there are non religious retreat places. Go on your own and find peace!

Comments