Disappointments and achievements

A few weeks ago I was shortlisted to appear in Poetry On The Move - a sheet publication that is handed out free to commuters.  I was so excited but didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to jinx it, but in my head I was thinking about appearing on their website and what this small break might mean.  Unfortunately, I didn't make it and I was so disappointed.  It's a tough life as a writer and even small breaks mean a great deal as you can't be with the 'big boys' until you have worked your way up through small press publications and maybe won a prize etc.  But there are so many writers out there all trying to do the same thing and sometimes I think it's just luck.  This person (one of the editors) really liked my poem and the way I wrapped it up and that for me me was wonderful to hear but still it doesn't take away the disappointment.  It's like always just missing out on the medal at the olympics or something.  I just can't seem to get over that line to the next level (a bit like a computer game with several levels of play and I'm stuck on the second level of say 6 or 7).  It always takes me time to get over these disappointments.  I go through several emotions, anger, lack of self confidence, wanting to give up and I don't write for a bit.  During times when I feel positive or I have had something published I go into writing mode with a vengeance.  So, from one of those positive times here is a 'tongue in cheek' offering.  Enjoy.

Hanging Wallpaper

Being a stickler for accuracy
paper hanging would prove a challenge
to one who couldn't cut straight,
who couldn't get the lumps out of the paste
and couldn't mount the ladder
without a foot through the paper.

But I found lining up the pattern a doddle
until I came to objects like radiators
and light switches and that bit by the window,
and realised that I needed a new roll
and had none left.

It was when I returned to the shop
to find the batch had sold out,
went home to find air bubbles,
peeling paper and solidifying glue
that I kicked the trestle table down the stairs
and decided that paint would cover
a paper-hangers nightmare.

But that is another story.....

Comments