The TS Eliot Prize Reading last month was wonderful.  There were ten poets who all had eight minutes to read poems from their new collections.  This resulted in around four or five poems each, depending on length.  The highlight for me was seeing Seamus Heaney and the gorgeous Simon Armitage read!  The diverse subjects made for a good mix.  Afterwards poets were signing copies of their books, but though I bought books by Simon Armitage and Sam Willetts I didn't wait in line because the queues were SO long.  One of the best evenings out for a while.  It left me feeling fired up and the poets seemed such 'normal' people - relaxed and amusing and their readings very moving and thought provoking at times.  Listening to poetry adds a different dimension to it and left me in a sort of afterglow.

As for my own poetry I have about nine poems 'out there' at present, submitted to competitions or possible publication in small press magazines.  I'm beginning to edit some older poems to bring them up to standard and I have other more recent poems that are still in first or second draft and need more work on them yet.  I feel that I have moved forward slightly as my editing is getting tighter.  For a long time I've felt 'stuck' but because I have been writing more there has been a little progress.

Away from poetry I signed up for a short course in Christian Meditation which runs over three Thursday evenings and I meet up with a friend there.  We learn about the desert fathers and mothers and from writers like Thomas Merton as well as having a practical session of meditation.  It's nice to switch off for while and the first week I felt it went well.  Last week I found that thoughts kept coming into my head and I was unable to push them away as easily as before.  Once concentration goes I find the session too long, but this is quite normal.  It is hard in this life to sit and do and think of nothing for 20 minutes - it is an unnatural feeling.  I've only managed it once at home so far.  Again it is not easy to meditate in a house full of people and first thing in the morning is the only time I get (I'm first up).  If I'm late up or have something on that morning it's not always possible to do it.  It is hard for me but good for me (or anyone).

Today has been lovely - warm and sunny, very spring-like.  If only it would stay this way.  I've 'done my wardrobe out' - I bought a few new items and it was time to put out some older stuff.

Enjoy this song and video.  Happy Valentines Day!

Comments