Myers-Briggs Seminar

Yesterday I was at Waverley Abbey in Surrey for a seminar called Personality and Spirituality based on the Type Indicator of Myers-Briggs.  If you've not come across this before basically we all fit into 16 'types' depending on our preferences which is conducted through a questionnaire (how we respond to those questions).  The MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) is used quite widely by companies to help with team building, management and leadership and by others in order to understand themselves and others.  It is the most astonishing system which is enlightening and freeing! 

I went on a basic MBTI last year and can honsestly say it was one of the best days I've had.  We laughed so much but also there were moments when some realised for the first time that they had trampled over others because they misunderstood their responses and were mortified. I began to understand why I analyse things so much and appreciate that when people don't respond in the same way I do it is because it is in their nature to respond differently and not because they set out to annoy me!  We have to allow people to be themselves even if it frustrates us.

I did my initial MBTI at Waverley which is a Christian Training Centre and the seminar yestersday was a follow up to that.  I was interested to learn  how our personalities affect our spiritual life and the way in which we feel comfortable in expressing that. Again there was lots of laughter, especially when we split into groups and arguments (friendly) went on in approaching the tasks.  Feeding back it was evident that our 'type' influenced this (we were generally a mixed group).  Still, what is always emphasised is that we will respond slightly differently in different situations.  If we are extrovert there may be times when we can be introvert (perhaps with friends it will different to work) and vice versa.  I should say the 'preferences' in MBTI are Extraversion and Introversion (energy). Sensing and Intuition (how you take in information), Thinking and Feeling (how you make decisions) and Judging and Perceiving (how you deal with the outer world).  You will be one or the other in each category depending on how you answer the questionnaire - high scores one way inidcates a clearer preference.

I wouldn't say that I had all my questions answered yesterday but I have a lot to work with and think about and I will look into it more (there goes my logic, analytical mind again!).  The leaders for the seminar were brilliant - husband and wife of two different 'types' but who compliment each other so well.  They made it fun, informative, interactive and a pleasure.  I think everyone should do a basic MBTI - it will answer so many questions for you and we might all get along better.

Waverley Abbey is the most beautiful and calming place you could wish for.  Click on the link then go to training/courses and see for yourself. 

Comments