Advent - 22nd December 2011 (a Christmas lunch)

Everyone needs a Christmas Angel
Today I am meeting up with my crew at Oxfam as we celebrate Christmas over lunch.  It's nice that I still get invited even though I don't do as many shifts in the shop as I used to.  I was amazed at how many have remembered me with cards too and I always get a great welcome, especially from the 'Thursday crew'.  I've helped at Oxfam for around eight years or so and met many people, all ages (15-80) and all races and religions and it's always a great atmosphere.  We are like a family.

Oxfam has always been a charity I have supported even before I volunteered at the shop.  They do such great work.  I've been to special talks to see how the money is spent - real life stories with photos taken by the speaker (a volunteer who has seen first hand the work Oxfam does).

Oxfam will be there now in the Philippines working with the Typhoon victims, as will other charities.  They work together to be most efficient.  So even while we are enjoying a hearty lunch reflecting on what Oxfam has achieved this year, they will be working tirelessly on, continuing the work, and we will be raising the money in our shops through selling second hand donated items as well as 'new products' and greetings cards so they have the money for their vital life-saving work.

Comments