A Night of Laughter and a day of contemplation

Sunday night was full of laughter.  I went to see the stand-up comedian Rich Hall.  Although I'd seen him on the odd TV programme, like QI, I didn't know a great deal about what he would be like live.  He was great.  I didn't know he also played guitar and keyboards.  In the second half he sang some funny songs about people he had 'picked on' in the audience.  A fun night.

Today I've been to the British Museum to see the exhibition Hajj: journey into the heart of Islam.  It chronicles the pilgrimage to Mecca every Muslim should try to do at least once in their life.  It is one of the Five Pillars of Islam.  I found the exhibition very interesting and enjoyed the short film showing what pilgrims do over the six days of the Hajj.  I find the written Arabic language fascinating, though confusing!  I loved the compasses which told the time in other places so that Muslims could say their prayers in the right direction and at the right times.

There were lots of Muslims going round the exhibition, children obviously from an Islamic school, boys in long white garments and girls with covered heads and some with covered faces charging around like any other child.
There were  masses of items in the gift shop and as usual I parted with some money!  I bought some prayer beads, a CD of Sufi music (Sufi's are the mystics) and a book, Daily Wisdom: Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad.  While I was at the Museum I also had time to see the room of Islamic Art which was quite stunning at times.

Comments