Books, lovely books

Been doing a bit of maintenance on the site.  My book list was way out of date and I couldn't believe I had read so many books since I last entered.  I have left the last two from the old list.  There were other books I read (poetry, religion, art, non-fiction) but this is enough.  I will try to update better so the list doesn't get so long next time.

Of those listed special mention for Rose Tremain whose books I really enjoy, Kate Atkinson who I read for the first time but probably not the last!  Cormac McCarthy for something different to my usual read - gritty, moving but compulsive, Steve Chalk for bringing the world of slave labour back to me (I have always known about it, took up the cause then wavered).  The book made me feel guilty that I had slipped on my ethics where chocolate was concerned (I'd gone over to Fairtrade).  He has inspired me to sign up and help make people aware that our pleasure is someone else's pain.  Please have a look at the Stop The Traffik webiste. Finally a new find - Leila Aboulela who was born in Khartoum.  Having read Minaret, I felt this was  the Muslim equivalent of a Christian book - does that make sense?  The world of Islam, the morals, rituals, the fall out of faith and the coming back is very familiar, just a different religion.  I loved learning things from an Islamic viewpoint, but this is also a book about class and downfall.  I have just picked up another of her books from the library.  I am eager to start it but I have others too to read.

Comments