Paralympic Torch Relay on London's South Bank

Large screen at Trafalgar Square
This might be my last blog until I get my computer either fixed or I buy a new one.  These days I have to re-boot up to three times to get started and then there are other niggles.  Genius son is going to reformat my laptop (hubby has backed up essential files) and we'll see how that goes but I fear an expense coming on!

National Gallery, Trafalgar Square
Today I decided to go up to London to see the Paralympic Torch Relay but before that I did two quick visits - first to the National Gallery to see the Metamorphosis: Titian 2012, an exhibition between the gallery and The Royal Ballet with rooms displaying three of Titian's paintings : Diana and Callisto, Diana and Actaeon and The Death of Actaeon, one on choreography, costumes, modern paintings.  I have to say it 'didn't do it for me'.  Wasn't really my thing....but at least it was free!  The other exhibition was at the National Portrait Gallery - Road to 2012.  This was an excellent photographic exhibiton of olympians and paralympians as well as those behind the scenes (the caterers at the Olympic Village, poster designers etc,)  Great stuff.

I then set off for Jubilee Gardens to wait for the torch.  The weather was great to start with but the torch was well behind time.  I sat on a wall to read my book but then began to get cold as the wind picked up.  As the helicopter came into view on the other side of the river I knew it was getting closer but even so I was getting really cold.  Mist gathered on the other side of the river....it was rain.  It came in a wave and we all headed for the trees.  Boy did it pour.  Several times I wondered whether to just leave as I'd only eaten a bag of crisps and needed a hot drink but I stuck it out and finally two and a half hours late the torch arrived.  I ran along to get some photos as the first few weren't very good.  But I got about three decent shots in the end.

Afterwards I went into the Royal Festival Hall for a hot chocolate and to thaw out before heading back to the station and home! Looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight and watching the games.  London is abuzz again!
 
 

Comments