Oh the bells!

While I am twiddling my thumbs, filling in time before I go out for Christmas lunch with my friends from Oxfam, I thought I'd tell you about the Christmas party I went to on Friday.  No, it's not one of the boozy dos, it was the end of an era really as the Arts Association I belong to are closing (lack of membership so funds won't cover room hire each month) after over 30 years.  Anyway, the party was small and we had a lady come to demonstrate hand bell ringing.  I'd quite forgotten this.  What a lovely afternoon we had.  I was fascinated and if I had the time I might even consider having a go (though it's very expensive with bells ranging from £100 for a small one to over £1,000 for a large one).  The lady played a few songs, gave us a history and explained about the equipment and different effects that could be made.

And this was an interactive time as not only did we sing along to some of the Christmas songs but she let us have a ago.  We each had a different bell (note) and she gave out laminated sheets with words of the song.  The words in capitals is where we rang our bell.  What fun!  We played Once in Royal David's City.  The sound the bells make is quite beautiful and I was captivated by the technique of ringing - how each bell has its place and the movement between bells as well as making sure all the bells are where they should be for the piece of music (we saw what happens when one is out of place!).  It really is a fun thing to watch and hear and I'm sure great fun to play.  The lady plays with a group of ringers and they've been to nursing homes and John Lewis head office, outside stations, all over!  This was a lovely start to our Christmas party.

(The Association now hopes to meet in members houses on an informal basis and visit exhibitions together)

Comments