DIY, leaks.....will it ever end?

Water, water everywhere!
My son took this photo under the floorboards
It's been a funny few weeks.  Stressful actually.  The decorating is all but finished but before I could order the new carpet my clever IT techie son said he wanted to network his computer.  Why?  You may well ask. He does a lot of online gaming and reckons it will make his life easier (not gambling gaming but playing games).  So he needed the floorboards up in the hall to run a cable through and upstairs to his room.  To cut a long story short he started Monday of last week.  He went down under the hall floorboards and then suddenly said 'I'm not going any further.' 'Why?' asked I.  'There's a big puddle down here and there's water coming in.'  My heart sank (no pun intended!).  Hubby called the insurance company and I have to say they were great.  They sent a team out the next day who pulled up the boards and although I was sitting in the lounge I could hear the water flowing in!  I went to have a look and it was mains water coming in.  They turned off the stop-cock and decided that they couldn't get to the pipe from inside the hall and began digging up the side garden bed in the front garden, though hubby cleared the porch in case they had to dig that up! Anyway, they got to the pipe and then had to drill a hole (boy was that noisy) through one of the brick supports and make the repair.  They were very tidy and put all the soil back and cleared up.  It took them about two and half hours.  At least the insurance covered it!

I just want to get some electrics checked but the guy from the carpet place came to measure up (we are also replacing the bathroom flooring) and they are now waiting for me to make the call to order it and then it should be about two weeks to fitting time.  Meanwhile, clever son and hubby have half completed the networking which was done while I was at church on Sunday morning so that was a nice surprise.  The house is gradually returning to some form of normality and it's amazing how we've got used to walking up and down stairs carefully avoiding the nails on the stair grippers - I've even done it in socks, no shoes.....daring person that I am...some may say stupid!

Things have halted as clever son is at present at Center Parks with his harem!  Some other good news - my younger son who graduated from Uni in the summer has now got a job.  He's working for Sega as a games tester.  Jammy bugger can now spend all day playing games and get paid for it!  It was his first day today and as they work shifts he had to be there at 7.30am.  My sister-in-law said that my our work was finished and we could really relax now we had both our kids working but does it ever really finish?  I don't think so. But I am happy and relieved they are both making their way in life.

Comments