Bamburgh Castle

Bamburgh Castle
On the Saturday of my weekend away we went to Bamburgh Castle. There was a very cold wind blowing...briskly at that and there was drizzle in the air. The sun poked its head out now and then but it was all about keeping warm and dry. The castle itself is quite spread out and beautiful inside. I especially loved The Kings Hall and The Cross Hall. There was a lovely staircase which I would have loved to explore but that was not open to the public (I'm always interested in the parts roped off!). The Armoury was a bleak reminder of bloody times.....I sometimes wonder if humankind will ever learn the lesson that violence never solves anything.  The gift shop was full of temptations but I was pretty good buying only two small items (a small bottle of Lindisfarne Meade for hubby and a puffin coaster for me).

Outside we tried to find a sheltered spot to sit and eat our picnic. We sat on a bank overlooking the beach. Wow, what a view. I love that coastline, so desolate. It was too misty to see Holy Island but we did glimpse the Farne Islands. We soon headed for a warm tea shop and a cream tea (back to food!)

The day I left we drove into Newcastle and had a look around. There were some new shopping centres but other parts were familiar to me (we stayed in Whitley Bay when the kids were young and 'did' various Newcastle attractions). We stepped inside a beautiful arcade and ended up at St Mary's Cathedral Church (RC) for....yes, tea - no cake!

A few photos:


The Cross Hall

The Kings Hall







Arcade, Newcastle

Jarrow March - stained glass window St Mary's

St Mary's Cathedral Church

Comments