Imperial War Museum and reflection

 On Tuesday I went along to the Imperial War Museum especially to see the war artists exhibition. Arrived early, about fifteen minutes after they opened, but already there were lots of people milling around and as we went in we were given timed tickets for the First World War Galleries. Ours were for 10.45am so while waiting I had a look in the small gift shop and took in the aircraft hanging from the ceiling etc. It's a long time since I've been to the museum and after their refurbishment I wondered what it would be like.

So, the first point of call was the WWI galleries. Very impressive. Immediately I fell under its spell. The sound affects make you think about the soldiers living with the constant bombardment. I found the whole exhibition interesting but sad and moving. Maybe I've rather overdosed on WWI recently with all the books I've read and I'm reading Siegfried Sassoon's war poems at the moment, plus the recent study day and poetry workshop. It was really strange (for me) but these galleries affected me so much that I often felt near to tears. 



After I came out I went upstairs to the war artists exhibition. It was ever bit as good as I'd  hoped. You cannot experience a painting better than seeing it in the flesh. Power point projections never bring out the detail and colour like you see in a gallery. All the works of art we looked at on the study day were there and a lot more - Paul and John Nash,  Nevinson, William Orpen, Sydney Carline and Stanley Spencer as well as Henry Tonks who worked as an RAMC doctor and was a pioneer in facial injuries.

John Nash's paintbox

I was due to meet my husband downstairs at 12.30pm and I had to fight my way through the crowds. It was packed to the point of being uncomfortable by then. I had a little time to browse the large book shop. Oh gosh that's a place to go back to! I ended up with three books. My husband met me in the bookshop (he always knows where I will be!) and we agreed we needed to get out of there. But I will be going back when it's not so crowded (once the kids are back at school), perhaps early on before the school parties start arriving! It really is worth going to if you are in London.

A few book shop purchases!
Dazzle ship, Victoria Embankment

One reflection on this is that I wonder what's changed. At present the news is full of war and destruction, people suffering and dying of hunger and injuries as humans battle with one another over religion and land. Where does it get anyone? Not a lot has changed. We never learn that war does not work and force is never a way to change anyone or a situation. The world is in an awful place right now and sometimes I fear for it. Tempers and emotions are running high causing yet more problems as some take their frustrations out on others they think are causing it. It is never that simple. Most ordinary people are appalled at what is going on what ever race or religion others are.

I try to stay out of all the media stuff about the middle east on my blogs because so much is already written about it - some of it in ignorance. As a member of Mother's Union (a worldwide Christian organisation caring for families) I am aware that many of our members as well as other Christian communities are in dire need right now. In Baghdad we have over 1,000 members. Over the years their church has been bombed and many have been killed, others have fled. The situation has always been volatile but who knows what is next. I can do no more than end with some words from Psalm 4  which we used today at the end of our MU branch Wave of Prayer:

“Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
Be merciful to me and hear my prayer”
Psalm 4:1 


Comments