Two quick reads from the thriller/crime genre

Read two books in a row from authors I've not read before and am totally hooked. The first is Andrea Camilleri's August Heat from the Inspector Montalbano Mystery series. I know there has been a TV series but I've not seen it. I came across an except from this book when it first came out and intended to try and pick up a copy. I found one at my church fair in June. In fact they had the whole series but I bought just that one in case I didn't like it. I loved it. I love the maverick Inspector and his side kicks, the humour and plots. In this one the Inspector is trying to solve a murder in the heat of summer (the lengths to which he goes to keep cool are very funny). When friends rent an apartment they get more than they bargain for when over night infestations of varying sorts come out of the woodwork and a body is found in a sealed lower half of the apartment no one knew was there. You never quite know what Montalbano is going to do next as he strives to solve the case. Good stuff. I am eager to read other from the series which is set in Sicily where I holidayed earlier this year!

Another author whose other books I am going to have to read is Elly Griffiths. The Crossing Places is a real twister of a tale. Ruth Galloway's character comes over well. She is a forensic archaeologist living on the north Norfolk coast so already her job and setting appeal to me. Two little girls have gone missing, the first ten years before so when some bones turn up near the site of a pre-historic henge DCI Harry Nelson calls on Ruth to help out. Griffiths sets up so many leads that I was chopping and changing 'who'd done it' many times. When I finished I wanted to get hold of the next book straight away! There is a series of books featuring Ruth Galloway and DCI Harry Nelson and I'm looking forward to seeing how these two continue to interact and where the stories lead them.

Comments