Ah music...something a little classical

Let's talk music. You will see that I have loaded a new Spotify track list and this time it's all classical. Here are some of my favourite pieces. All of them are quite emotional for me. One, I see I've repeated - shows how much I like it. Nimrod always makes me cry and Jupiter from the Planet Suite was the first piece of classical music I heard at school. It was only recently that I realised the hymn I Vow to thee my Country is taken from this. How come I've sung it all these years and not made the connection? Sometimes I can be so thick! The hymn, again, makes me cry.

I found a sung version of Nimrod which I also like too (though it's not on this playlist yet). And then to find Agnus Dei, the vocal version of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings was fantastic. I've been trying to find this for ages (on the playlist). I now have so many versions of this, including several trance versions. Enjoy.

Maybe my mother (particularly) would be proud of me. She and my dad both sang choral works over the years. These aren't totally my scene, but as I get older my horizons stretch. You never know one day I might listen to the whole of the Messiah, but don't hold your breath!

Hampton Court Palace
I do wonder, though, if mum and dad will be watching over me in the autumn when the choir I sing with will perform in Hampton Court Palace. The Palace is celebrating it's 500th year anniversary and about thirty choirs have been invited to perform. Arrangements are sketchy but I gather we will have our own slot and then join together with the rest to sing a specially commissioned piece (not yet written) covering musical history. The whole choir is excited! There will be several rehearsals in the Palace in October and each choir member will be entitled to purchase four tickets for the concert at £1 each. Can it get better than that?

Comments