Book reviews - a little faith and a little art

Most of my non-fiction books in my backlog pile are short. I've read two in the last few days. The majority are also faith/religious books, and because I shall be attending the Christian Resources Exhibition later this month, I need to reduce the pile. You see, I'm sure to find something there! The exhibition has moved to ExCel this year the CRE pamphlet assures me that because of this there is to be a mega book store. Oh! just leave me there! Often there are offers (3 for 2, buy one, get another half price and reduced books. Occasionally there are also free books!). Last year (when it was held at Sandown Race Course) because I went on a Friday, their last day, they reduced some books to 99p!

Anyway, there is far more there than just books, so I need to pace myself.

Of the two books I've just read, the first one by Michael Mitton, Dreaming of Home, is looking at the story of Prodigal Son while running the story a fictional character listening to Jesus telling it. You learn about this man's life and how he relates to the story. Michael also speaks of his own journey to find home, the place where you relax and can be you. He talks of who that 'who' is as well as how we relate to church, what works for us. There's so much here I agree with. Of course the ultimate home for a Christian is with God and he quotes part of a poem by Adrian Plass I so love. Adrian longs for heaven to have lots of things he loves in this life, and I think we all feel that.

I've read several books by Michael Mitton and it was interesting to see him mention several other people he's worked with who I admire in the faith writing and Christian music world as well as his connection to the Fresh Expression and Celtic strand of Christianity that I feel 'at home' with.

The second book The Bloomsbury Group by Frances Spalding is an overview of the time (beginning of the 20th century) and descriptions of the artists/writers and their associates. These include Virginia Woolf, Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant as well as Roger Fry, Lytton Strachey, Dora Carrington and others. This isn't an in depth book, but gives enough to whet the appetite. There are paintings and photos by the artists of each other and shows how the group interlinked. There were some very strange relationships within the group! The art is what draws me. I probably bought this book when I attended an exhibition at Brighton Art Gallery, but I'd been intrigued by them for a long time. They owned a house in Sussex called Charleston where the interior decoration is bright and colourful. I've yet to visit, but I will be going, make no mistake!

Comments