Book pledge update

My book pledge is well and truly broken because on Saturday I bought two books from a charity shop! Admittedly I was feeling a tad low and like most other people we go and buy 'things' to cheer us up. Still, at least I spent no more than a fiver!

With my library borrowing on top I seem to be a bit swamped with books but I do like to have some fiction around - there's only so much non fiction I can read before I start to get withdrawal symptoms from not having a good novel on the go.

Tonight is book club so we will be discussing The Woman In Black (Susan Hill) and choosing a new read. New book choices seem to take up to two weeks to come through which always gives me time to read something in the meantime. I have a way to go before I finish London (Edward Rutherfurd). So far, I've managed about 160 pages, but it is fascinating. London being so close to me I am finding out a lot. Earlier this year I visited the amphitheatre under the Guildhall and that features in the book, as well as other places I've visited. I'm getting to know how names came about, because while the characters are from fiction, most everything else is based on fact. At the moment I'm in 1078 and the building of The Tower of London as seen through the eyes of the characters who are rich and poor, free and slaves, the goodies and baddies and the chancers. A lovely mix. Rutherfurd includes his usual maps - this time showing how London developed through the ages - and the timeline showing the characters. You can follows their families down through the ages. Some connect, by marriage, to other lines. I just love it!

A little song - Nothing much changes over the decades unfortunately:





Comments