Autumn means a new course

It's that time of year again - new courses to try, new things to do. I have kept it simple this time and only signed up for one online course because I already spend far too long on my laptop and have been suffering from muscular tension in my neck. It's been a tough three weeks or so.

So, I am trying to limit my time on the laptop (not easy when I am trying to make it as a writer and my head is full of ideas - I seem to have gone into overdrive in the last few days).

My worksheets before colouring
Anyway, to the course. I am studying Forensic Anthropology through FutureLearn and the University of Dundee. No, I will not be a fully fledged member of some CSI team. This looks at the basics, sort of overview. You get the chance to try and identify the victim by following the case through, using the material supplied. Having just completed the first week I am loving it. So far I have used worksheets to identify bones and colour them (yes, a chance to get out the coloured pencils), look at an Interpol ID sheet to try and fill in details of a person the last time I saw them (14 pages of it). Today I correctly identified the ulna bone (forearm) in the case we are following and got 12/12 for the multiple choice end of week quiz. I am proud!

I think I've said in past that my science skills could be written on a pin head but human biology has always been there in the background as something I wish I'd given more houseroom to. The course runs for six weeks. Of course I'm taking this course also because I thought a little knowledge may help me in any murder crime mystery I might at some time write (ha!).The story is written by Val McDermid for this course and there is a free e-book at the end of the course. This first week has been quite a short introduction. I'm sure there will be much more detailed stuff to come. I rather like slow starts. I need that right now.

Comments