Tying up loose ends and three museums in a day

My duties as branch leader of Mothers' Union have now ceased (ah freedom!). We had out AGM last night and I handed the papers over to a lady who is putting the programmes together. Another lady is going to be the main contact between branch and the 'powers that be' (Southwark Diocese). So I've just now finished my part, tying up the loose ends. I still have the boxes of files and resources but I am assured by another lady that when her husband has finished building the cupboard they will off too!

I am still very involved with Mothers' Union but it is nice to know I am not responsible for everything anymore. Six years is a long time and enthusiasm wanes. It's good to have new blood and new ideas and this year's programme looks great. I was given a pot of miniature roses as an interim offering for the work I have done! It stands on the hall table where this afternoon I took away the fibre optic Christmas tree!

Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition -
V&A Museum
On Monday I decided to take myself off to the V&A to see the exhibition I had mistakenly thought was at Tate Modern and trailed off there in December! My choice of day was down to the fact that the kids returned to school that day and it was too soon for schools to have arranged a trip to any museum! It was a good choice. The exhibition was Julia Margaret Cameron, photographer from the 1860's, friend of William Holman Hunt and other Pre-Raphaelite members. Julia took portraits of family and friends, often dressing and posing them as biblical and/or mythical characters. Sitters included Tennyson, who lived in Freshwater on the Isle of Wight where Cameron also lived, Michael Rossetti, William Holman Hunt and Virginia Woolf's mother (her niece).

As well as the exhibition at the V&A there were more of her prints from the Sir John Herschel (scientist) collection at the Science Museum. So after the V&A, it was round the corner for the second exhibition! It is on there until 23rd March. The exhibition at the V&A ends 21st February.

As I was up in the museum quarter of London I did an other detour to Natural History Museum as I wanted to see the latest find in the Human Evolution section, a hand and part of a jaw. Three museums in one day sounds a lot, but I went for specific things so it was not nearly as exhausting it as it sounds.
A missing link to the human race?

What is it about bones and skulls?

Science Museum, London

Loved this material house


All the materials used including brass and copper



Natural History Museum

Comments