Up, up and away

Tokyo
http://www.futta.net/en/
My body is telling me it's lunch time. Not so much that my stomach wants food just that I have been up since just before 6am and have recently got home after accompanying my son to the airport. I'm shattered!

My youngest (sporty) son is, as I write, off to 'the land of the rising sun' via Helsinki. I had asked him a few times if he wanted me to go with him to the airport. He said there was no need, that he would be fine. I asked him again last night. Still no. This morning I dragged myself out of bed when I heard him in the bathroom. I couldn't let him leave without saying goodbye. I asked again. No. I asked if he wanted anything. Realising that he was too late to catch the first bus to the airport he asked me to put the kettle on for a coffee. In last ditch appeal I told him it wouldn't take me long to throw on some clothes and go with him. His reply was a grudgingly 'If you want to.' Now I'm not sure whether he always wanted company and was just being butch about it, or whether I'd worn him down to the extent that he thought 'at least it will shut her up!' Anyway, I was so surprised and then realised I had twenty minutes to down my cuppa and get ready. Neither the brain nor the body was in any fit state but somehow I washed, dressed and got enough makeup on so I looked like a human being and off we went. We had to run the last few yards to the bus which even at 6.30am was packed and the windows were steamed up like a Swedish sauna.

We had to stand for part of the way but eventually we sat together (a far cry from the days when sporty son would sit anywhere rather than sit with me!). At Heathrow we went to the bag drop where a group of people had mountains of equipment. They were either part of a film crew or a band. I tried to read the name on the bags (I'm so nosy!). Another check in desk opened up and that was it. So we ended up being early and decided to go off for breakfast - pots of porridge - and a drink. I suggested that some Euros might be handy at Helsinki airport as there was three hour wait for the connecting flight (I jokingly said 'you can buy a Finnish teddy bear' and then decided no. I actually have too many soft toys!)

I left him at security, my baby going off Tokyo all by himself. He is so independent and I admire him. Last night he was running off his self prepared itinerary for his nine day stay. How did he get so organised? I do understand his desire to travel because I have that excitement too. Coming out of the airport on the bus we drove along by the landing strip and I watched as several planes came in and one flew directly over us. I was that excited! On the bus going to the airport I told my son how when I was young my dad would drive us to the airport (weekend drives were our thing!), go through the tunnel and then turn round and drive back. We never went to the airport to fly anywhere. My mother would have had to be sedated and completely out of it to get her on a plane. My son was surprised my parents hadn't been abroad. Well, my dad had been, but the war doesn't count! Life was so different then.

 じゃあね (jaa ne) – See you



Comments