Last day in Dundee and then to Durham!

6.15am on the day we left Dundee
Our last day in Dundee took us to another ship, this one the Frigate Unicorn. It is last British built war ship still afloat. The young chap aboard was very knowledgeable and told us masses of information. I'd never seen so many guns on a ship (of course they are replicas). There were originally 46 of them. The ship was launched in 1824. The upper deck (now with a roof) has lots of displays about the navy, Wrens, Morse Code. This is also where the Captain's Room is, and a very fine room it is too. He had his own shower in one corner at the end of the room and a loo in the other (everything dropping into the sea!).

With my hubby still chatting away to the young man I ventured to the lower decks. It was gloomy (I was the only one there) and eerie. I felt very uneasy but pulled myself together and took my photos before venturing down to the next deck. This one really did make me feel claustrophobic and extremely jittery. The walk way, which went round the whole ship had a low ceiling and was narrow.. This is where the stores were kept. I took my photos and then saw that to get to the other side I would probably have to climb down another ladder to the ship's bowels (where you could see the water level) to get to the other side. At this point I decided enough was enough as the ship creaked on its moorings. I hit my head twice while down there and when I go back to the top I told the guy it was creepy and bit outside my comfort zone! Even so, it was a good visit.
The Captain's Room (the wooden door is either the bathroom or toilet)



Getting creepy - the photo makes it look light, it wasn't!


The stores - now very out of my comfort zone.


Howff Cemetery


Later we went to Howff Cemetery, which is a nice quite oasis in the busy City of Dundee. It is very old and was land given to a monastery as a burial ground.

The next morning after breakfast we set off for the train journey down to Durham. The weather was hot and the view from the window along the coast line and through Berwick on Tweed (I love it there) was wonderful. We changed trains at Newcastle for the last part, though it was a very quick changeover - no time for messing around.

Our hotel was just the other side of the railway line with a nature reserve behind it, yet only minutes from the centre of Durham. We actually bumped into friend's of my hubby's who saw us walking! They live near Sunderland and were out for a drive. It's a damn small world!

View from the train.

Durham Castle

Our hotel

Comments