RIP Maisie. The agony of losing a pet.


Pets are part of your family. They weave themselves into your life, enhance it and wind themselves around your heart.

Yesterday, I lost one of our pets and I am still finding it hard to write and talk about it. Lack of sleep and subsisting on cereal (the only thing I can manage to eat) has made me overwrought and my emotions are totally exposed.

Early yesterday we had two guinea pigs, by midday we had only one. Maisie, sweet, pretty little Maisie had been losing weight for some time but she was eating like crazy and was still lively for a six and a half year old. Then suddenly she seemed to go down hill. She had trouble keeping upright. I had to lower the water bottle so she didn't have to raise herself up to get at it. I put food on the floor as well as the bowl. She seemed not to be eating as much. When I picked her up she felt all bony and ultra light. I knew this was bad. She still came out when I cleaned the cage whereas Cocoa never bothers unless I pick her up and put her out. I knew what was coming and I felt awful.

The vet said it was neurological. Her reflexes weren't working, the brain was not sending the right signals. Things would only get worse. She offered to give her an anti-inflammatory which would last 24 hours, but she said she thought I'd be back the next day or within the week. I would be putting off the inevitable. I had to make my choice. I couldn't face taking her home only to have to go through all this again. I had to think of Maisie's quality of life. She was weak and looked ill. I said my goodbyes and totally lost it at the Vets. Afterwards I brought her home and we gave her a Pagan burial in the garden. I laid her on a piece of wood covered with kitchen roll, placed a long piece of fresh grass and some guinea pig nuggets next to her (for the afterlife) and then I wrapped her in kitchen towel. We laid her under a paving slab by the shed and I sprinkled hay on top of her. A planter stands on top of the paving slap and I made a cross (the Christian bit) and planted that in.

Poor Cocoa seems lonely without her friend. Lost, like me. Thought that might just be in my head as they never really got on! I need to give Cocoa more attention now. She is the same age as Maisie and guinea pigs live to a maximum of eight years. My son bought them. He talked me into it when he was suffering from depression but soon it was me taking care of them. I love them and I miss Maisie terribly. I know I will feel better soon but right now I am heartbroken and nothing else matters.

I am off out today (a pre-arranged date). This will do me good. Sorry to waffle on. Maisie RIP.

Cocoa (left) and Maisie (right) taken the Christmas before last.

Comments