Laying the ghost of school reading to rest with To Kill A Mockingbird

Like everything in life books can come to you at the wrong time or the right time. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee was one that came to me at secondary school. I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but as I left aged fifteen it was before that, probably somewhere between twelve and fourteen. I wasn't a great reader at school. Reading came to me late, but boy am I making up for it now!

My memories of the book at school are vague. I cannot remember one word of it. Not even sure whether we ever finished the book as a class, but I do know I didn't understand it and I hated it! The only other memory is of shots of a black and white movie, which I never saw either. Still, this book is a classic and everyone went on about and now as a grown up (though that might be disputed by some!) I thought I'd give it a read to see what all the fuss was about. See if my views had changed.

And this time the book came right for me. I adored it. Couldn't put it down. I have to admit it's one of the best reads. I don't think I need to give a review. Most people seem to have read it many years ago. But it tackles prejudice and class so well. Seen through the eyes of a child (Scout) you see things the way only children can. And I loved the twist at the end.

Sporty son picked the book this morning and asked 'Is this the original'? That alone surprised me - that he'd even heard of it! No don't laugh until you've met my son! My copy was reissued after 'Go Set A Watchman' came out. I guess that's one reason I bought it. I felt I had to read it and bury the ghost of school reading. I explained a bit about the book to my son and offered to let him have it when I finished it. I have done that now. I took it up to his room this morning and expected him to day 'no, it's okay.' He's done that to me before when I offered him a crime novel I'd been reading because he showed an interest in. But this time he took it. Whether he will read it or not I don't know. Whether he will enjoy it, I don't know either. Maybe it isn't the right time for him, Maybe it is. His usual reading is books about sports or the players/managers of them (though he is ploughing very slowly through a book about the Korean war - no idea what sparked that interest).

It's taken me forty-five years or more to get back to this book. It was worth it!

Comments