Going vegan for a month - Day eleven

I went over to Tesco this afternoon to buy the veggie mince and a few other items I needed. I came back without the veggie mince because I forgot it! That means another trek over there either tomorrow or Thursday. Grrrr!

I made the second lot of cakes (this is for the cafe next Monday) and they are now in the freezer, so at least that's done.

Tonight I was going to cook sweet and sour Quorn (with the vegan Quorn pieces) but found myself starting something completely different. In fact I'm making my favourite Red Lentil and Tomato Bake. I made up this recipe so there is no real quantity to ingredients. I guess! Of course it depends on how many you are catering for so adjust accordingly.

Basically it's this:

In a saucepan:

Fry a chopped onion
Pepper (any colour) chopped and fried with the onion
Add to this the lentils and some water in which to cook them until they have softened along with a stock cube (put a lid on the saucepan)
Add tomatoes (fresh or canned), a splodge of tomato puree, herbs (I like Oregano), Marmite (about half a teaspoon). Cook for a little longer
Meanwhile finely slice a potato or two (depends on how large the potatoes are)
Pour lentil mixture into a dish and arrange the potato slices on the top.
Grate vegan cheese over the top and cook in a hot oven (about Gas Mark 6) until golden brown.

If the mixture is too sloppy the potato will sink in (as happened this time!) but it doesn't affect the taste! You can vary it, use other veg, top with sweet potato instead or even a breadcrumb and oat mix. This time I've added some cayenne pepper to the mixture.  Experiment and enjoy.

That sinking feeling! But still nice!



Comments