Going Vegan for a month - Day Three

Breakfast - Porridge with a swirl of Golden Syrup
Planning. It's all down to the planning. And I'm really the worst planner when it comes to food. I can drawn up lists, plan a night out way in advance for a large group of people (with schedules and extra details) but I cannot plan a menu! I think that part of the reason for me is that food is a sideline, something that has to be prepared, cooked and the dishes washed afterwards. This takes time, time I'd rather spend doing something else - anything really, apart from housework!

So this morning I should have planned to take my little container with soya milk out with me to church. Strangely the after service refreshments is the only time I drink coffee and milk. But during my vegan pledge that's out. I was half way through the service when I realised I'd have to re-think my drink.

It was too cold to have a juice and I meant to ask for a weak black coffee but found myself asking for a weak black tea (the cold has done my brain in). And because someone (probably the PCC) has decided we all have mugs now, not cups and saucers, I got a mugful. Not the most pleasant drink. Now had they had some chamomile or jasmine tea (I must try that out next time just to see the look on their faces!) it would have been a much nicer experience. Still, I forced it down and maybe that will remind me to take my own milk next time. Don't hold your breath on that.

This is my alternative coffee for home use
(Note Jurassic Park mug!)
Sunday lunch - yes of course I planned that. No! I had decided to do stuffed peppers only to discover there were only two between four of us. My youngest son who has the appetite of a large horse said 'don't bother, I'll have chips.' (Huh!) Undaunted I ploughed on with my meagre peppers - one red, one orange - there variety! I started them off in the oven drizzled with olive oil (like the technical term 'drizzle'?) while I cooked some Elby (a wheat alternative to pasta). I prepared a carrot to mix with it and my vegetarian son suggested throwing in some Nando's Peri Peri rub in mixture. We had an open pack and it is suitable for vegans! Yes! So that went in with the vegan gravy mix. When the Ebly was cooked and drained I put the liquid and carrot in and then I really went for it. I threw in some raisins and cranberries as well as some seeds. I put the mixture into my tiny peppers and added a cheese topping for everyone but me. Back it went into the oven to brown while I cooked some broccoli and peas and reheated some left over mushroom goulash from last night for me and hubby (the boys wouldn't touch it!) as a side.

My tiny pepper and Elby combo with left over goulash 

Result? Nice flavour. The boys picked out all the raisins and cranberries (tut) but ate the rest. Success in my book.

After such a stressful thrown together meal I haven't a clue what to do for tea tonight. Come back tomorrow and find out!

Diary free chocolate ice cream
Mushroom goulash served with almonds and rice

The goulash is made with celery, onions, peppers, a drop of water, paprika and seasoning. Add some flour and then normally I would add sour cream. I substituted that with soya milk. Top with nuts (whatever you have) and serve with rice.




Comments